Do you want to have long, gorgeous hair like the women you see re-pinned on Pinterest daily? Are you thinking about getting tape-in hair extensions? Here are some things you should know.
Whether getting extensions to enhance volume or just to have long luscious hair, maintaining your hair is critical to getting full use out of those beautiful new locks.
There are always rumors going around about how hard it is to maintain hair extensions. Don’t worry, they’re pretty much false. If you follow these simple tips on maintaining hair extensions (many of which you are probably doing anyway) you’ll be able to maintain those extensions longer than you expected. And of course, you’ll be able to proudly overuse the hash tag #longhairdontcare under your selfies on Instagram to your heart’s content!
1. After you have your extensions installed do not wash your hair for AT LEAST 48 hours. Your tape will need time to cure and washing will lessen the hold time. Make sure to plan your appointment accordingly so you’re not feeling too stressed about keeping those locks dry.
2. Do NOT brush your hair when wet. This is something that cannot be stressed enough. Do NOT wrap your head in a towel or flip your hair upside down. You need to slowly start drying your hair at the ends and work your way up. Avoid squeezing and pulling your hair, slowly pat dry and reduce tangles.
It’s tempting to throw your hair up in a towel and be a genie for 10 minutes or flip your hair back and fourth but you really need to take your time after you shower to help your extensions last longer and look great.
3. Do not EVER apply conditioner directly onto your bonds. This will make the tape lose and your extensions will fall out. This goes for any oils as well.
4. Make sure your shampoo is silicone free! This is a HUGE must. Silicone will destroy your bond!
5. Most women use some sort of heating tool on their hair every day. You can still continue to do so, just make sure you are not putting the heat directly on your bonds! The heat will loosen the bond.
6. It is very important to brush your extensions twice a day. This will keep your hair from getting tangled or matted. This is actually a great idea for when you don’t have extensions in as well. Be sure to put your hair in a loose pony-tail or braid before you go to bed every night.
Here’s a seventh tip just because we think you deserve a bonus tip for getting this far! You need to remember that your hair extensions are holding onto your natural hair in some way. Either tape, glue or silicone are holding them to your head. You MUST remember to give our hair a rest every now and then by taking a break from extensions and being sure not to shower every day. This will help your natural hair rejuvenate by taking back in it’s oil from your scalp. You will damage your natural hair tremendously if you do not give it a break every now and then.
This may seem like it is a lot of work, but if you take it one step at a time it will become a regular routine for you. Think of all the fun hairstyles you will be able to do with extensions in your hair!
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions for future posts, feel free to leave them in the comment section down below! Or you can contact us at Info@HairExtensionTape.Com